Where would you like to go?

Thursday 15 December 2011

Snowy Christmas at the Nesi's!!

Even though I was feeling very lazy these past couple of days (I'm blaming the weather) I still managed to keep myself occupied with craft-ivities (did I just make up a word?).  Since the weather has been nothing but wet and cold, I decided to add 'snow' to our Christmas decor.  Javier (my eldest twin) was actually the one who initiated the idea.  He pulled out the insides of our couch cushions and we ended up with 'snow' all over our  floor.  I decided to reuse the 'snow' and applied them to our tree.  Really diggin' the snowy look right now.  So I went a step further and made snow ornaments, garlands and chandelier out of doilies.  I know, I went a bit crazy, but I was on a roll and couldn't be stopped.  The chandelier 'snow' is probably my favourite one, because it's so pretty and it really looks like snow falling from the sky.  I love it so much that it's now going in the master bedroom as our light feature, instead of the dining room where it was originally intended.

SNOW ORNAMENTS & SNOW GARLAND



SNOW VIGNETTE (ENTRY WAY) - added a snow wash to these pics to really get into the snowy Christmas spirit hehe



SNOW CHANDELIER


Ok, so I washed this pic with 'snow' to give you a real snowy feel :-)
Now, with the lights on!
Ahh, so pretty!  Will be moving it to the master bedroom soon xo
Click after the break for the how-to on the snow chandelier!  It's super simple!  Anyone can do it!!!

SNOW CHANDELIER TUTORIAL

What you will need are...


Hopefully the pictures are clear enough for you to work out what to do next.  But just in case, here's a guide :-)

Find a comfy place to work on...I used my dining table, and placed my embroidery hoop on one corner (so I could hang the snow strands easily without them getting tangled in the process).  You decide how long your strands will be (we have a very high ceiling, so I wanted mine to be about a metre long).  I didn't make the strands line up perfectly as I wanted the 'snow' to to be randomly placed.  For each strand I used 4-6 doyleys, this is really up to you.  You can add as much or as little as you like, depending on the look you're trying to achieve.  You simply tie one doyley at the end of each string, then thread through the rest.  Once you're done, you tie each strand onto the embroidery hoop.  What I would have liked to have done was spray paint my hoop white, but with the weather the way it's been all week, I couldn't be bothered waiting for the paint to dry.

I admit, this little craftivity is quite time-consuming, but you can do it while the kids are taking their nap, during a movie, or sacrifice your lunch - "you can do whatever you like" (that's a song btw).  It's super easy!!  Go on, give it a try and email me your pics!!  You'll never know, you may just be featured on my blog!!  xo

As soon as the weather clears up I'll be applying some icicle Christmas lights outside our house.  Verrry excited about this!!!  Come on rain, you need to go on a break now.  You've been working non-stop and deserve a looooong vacation!!  Sun can take care of things around here for a while, so pack your bags and go!  See you around May!!  If only right? lol.

Have a crafty Thursday guys!!  Bye for now!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment